Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My Regards To Broad Street


I heard a rumour, lots of years ago, that David Gilmour and Paul McCartney performed together in a film called Give My Regards To Broad Street. I even knew a chap who had a dodgy VHS copy. But, honestly, I remembered almost nothing about the film these many years later. I guess it just wasn't the focus of my evening.

I hadn't heard about this connection again - so I'd more or less just dismissed it as nonsense. Just by chance, I happened to see that the film is available on DVD. I stuck it on my list of Things To Do - and it slowly rose to the top.

Here is the Straight Dope - Mr. Gilmour appears in the credits for one of the songs in the film - the song that is played during the credits. That's all. Although there are many songs played "live" in the film, this isn't one of them.



Now you know!!

4 comments:

wardo said...

Indeed -- he's the lead guitar on the ballad version of "No More Lonely Nights", one of the few highlights of the Broad Street debacle. While such luminaries as Dave Edmunds and John Paul Jones appear in that debacle, Dave must have known better to hide his face.

Alan said...

I never looked twice at this song and hadn't heard it probably since the time it was released.

So to refresh my memory,I looked it up and took a listen.

Unmistakenly Gilmour's signiture guitar sound,the leads give him away.

Thanks for jarring my memory.

But to be fair,around the same time,he guested on Pete Townshend's White City.

I'm not sure which was worse,Give My Regards To Broad Street or White City.

2 very forgettable albums from a terrible era for rock music.

Cheers,

Alan.

Unknown said...

Back in the day, when this CD was first released it was the only way to get Beatles tracks, even though they were rerecorded for the film.

Anonymous said...

Funny - Some people like meringue pie. I like rhubarb. Never a McCartney fan, I (as a very young teen) bought the "No More Lonely Nights" 45 upon release, as it was publicized that Gilmour played lead on it. And "Give Blood" from the White City album Townshend did, well I guess I was too young to put Townshend's works in perspective, but it sure sounded ok to me - And still does. I don't find it any different than anything on About Face, really. Try again: http://youtu.be/WvRjGLRQQVk

Thx for all the PF, B, etc!