Sunday, September 21, 2008

Eight Miles High - Japanese




Probably the best documentary that you've never heard of... Made back in 1994 as a joint project between PBS and the BBC, this is one of the best documentaries on the subject of psychedelic music I have ever seen. There are loads of archival films and new interviews. This insanely obscure DVD contains about 15 minutes of unbroadcast material. Additionally, this remains the ONLY official DVD that contains portions of Syd's American Bandstand appearance. Sadly, there is a fair amount of Japanese narration and subtitles. But, I'll take that any day compared with overdubs! The interview of Peter Jenner speaking about the earliest version of the Floyd's lighting equipment is worth the price of admission all by itself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All thanks to the good Dr.

goa said...

Hi, thx.
I'm undecided to dl wich version.
The japanese one has too much japanese narration?

My lengauge is spanish and I try to domy best with english, but of japanese I understand nothing!!!

Dr. Forrester said...

Both versions have their advantages, which I tried to describe in the posts. I don't understand Japanese, either. I took 4 years of Latin, so I only speak one useful language. B-) Best of luck!