Saturday, June 14, 2008

Jill Sobule - Atlantic Promotional Tape



Before you download this one, do us all a favor and buy a copy of the official CD version. Even though it's probably out-of-print, there are a ton available on eBay for about $2. The fidelity of the CD version is head-and-shoulders above the version that I am sharing here...

This self-titled album by Jill Sobule was released in 1995. This pre-release demo cassette tape fell into my lap only very recently, however. The cassette is a normal bias tape - and sounds like it, which is why I really strongly suggest that you pick up the CD version.

The songs on this pre-release cassette have a few differences when compared to the CD versions, which is why I am sharing it.

1) The song order is different
2) The song "Smoke Dreams" appears here, but not on the official CD
3) (Theme From) The Girl In The Affair - very slightly different in very last portion of the song.
4) Karen By Night - The Marlon Brando remark is slightly different from the released version
5) The song Margaret is supposed to open with "She's Gonna Sing - You're Gonna Listen", but I think the duplication service screwed up & left off the first bit. So, we get only, "You're Gonna Listen"

I used the official CD as a speed reference. I found that the Side A of the cassette played into my computer at about 1.5% too fast. Side B was much better at only about 0.5 % too fast. But, appropriate adjustments have been made, so no worries there.

Any Jill Sobule archivists out there need to give this tape a listen... If you find other differences, please don't be shy. Leave a comment & I'll update the entry.

Jill Sobule - If you happen to read this & want this posting removed, just leave a comment or send an email to that effect & I'll delete it. On the other hand, if you'd care to explain just what this item actually is & how it came to exist... We'd all love to hear whatever you have to say.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was mentioned on Jill's Happytown chatline. I commented on how much I liked it -- and i do. Then I noticed Jill left a response to my comment.

Great, I thought, she wants it deleted and I haven't finished downloading!

No -- Davey Jones of the Monkees just visted her in the studio.