Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Happy Almost-Anniversary!


It's nearly been a year now since Dave 2.0 over at Quality Boots first really convinced me that it was, indeed, possible to share things in lossless quality on a blog. To be honest, I'd always thought that blogging was one of those inherent evils in life - like cell phones. But, I didn't understand that, really, a blog is a do-it-yourself web page... Like a sewer, what you get out of it depends upon what you put into it. B-)

I don't track anything. I don't know how many visitors I get, where they link in from, or any of the other vital statistics that other people fritter away their lives worrying over. Couldn't care less. Every now and again, I take a casual glance over the file download info at RS - trying to see what things are the most popular. Believe me - if I had more Kate Bush, I'd have already posted it. The Kate Bush fans have downloaded every Kate CD HUNDREDS of times.

Otherwise, for the typical Pink Floyd related post, there might be 10-30 downloads. (If, say, a text file is downloaded 30 times, you can almost always count on the actual content files being downloaded about half that many times. It happens every time. Not sure why.) This may seem like small-potatoes in these heady days of torrents and things. But, I am very much grounded in the days of trading cassette tapes. Doing one trade would cost a certain amount of money and take a certain amount of time. And.. that was just one trade. This is a much easier way to share with more people for less effort & at the same time, keep a certain amount of intimacy and communication.

If you want to use my links in another blog, have at it. If you want to share these files on a torrent somewhere, please, be my guest. The whole point of this exercise is to share as much as possible with anyone who may be interested. If you want to help in that effort, please do. I don't want or deserve any credit.

I have never asked for any assistance or collaborators. But, nevertheless, two nice gentlemen arrived on the scene and asked how they could be of service. They're awesome, groovy cats & we're all lucky to have them around. Tomi & Sgt Weatherman - Thanks Guys!

To all of the anonymous helpers who sometimes are able to provide cover art or background information or report errors or provide much needed psychological support - I have a big heartful of love for you all.

Right at the moment, I am doing some large-scale renaming, sorting, and backing-up of files. It'll take a few days to get things arranged properly. Please be patient with me. There's loads of good Floyd (and possible some other groups as well) coming along shortly..In the meantime, if you haven't already, please take some time to go back to the very beginning of the blog. Those posts are my personal favorites (which is why they were first). Swim around a little. Don't be shy.

Dr. F.

12 comments:

goa said...

thx for all, again!!!

btw, Dave 2.0 made in the top a Report Problems Here...imho, would be a nice addition.

Sometimes I find a problem, but at the same time I don't want to became a pain in the ass for you...so a space to make those reports would create a window spcifically those issues...

man, I made a mess of this post, well, my english is quite bad :lol:

Tomi said...

cheeers :) where will be exactly the first anniversary? worth to post some fat POST :) thanks for launching really great PF corner

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your time and effort, it's appreciated.

kike said...

Dear Dr. F

congratulation for the first aniversary! Your blog is one of the best, there's no doubt about it.
Go ahead,

thanks for all this terrific recordings, specially on PF!

best regards, Kike :)

Niebla de Fuego said...

Congratulations!!!

And thanks a lot for sharing such wonderful,interesting and many times obscure Floyd (and all its members)/KBush/Lynch material, which I have enjoyed a lot thanks to your generosity.

Best wishes always!!!

Emmanuel Quiroz said...

Feliz aniversario !!! y gracias por todo tu trabajo y esfuerzo

Anonymous said...

Definitely yours is one of the top blogs on the net. The generosity is inspiring. A million thanks for taking the time.

Cheers and congrats on the anni!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the great posts, when I found this blog a few days ago I was totally blown away! It is a truly great source of Floyd stuff and the time and effort you put into this is amazing. Many thanks again!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your Kate stuff a lot and made other people visit your blog. By everyone it is grateley appreciated. My personal collection is alreay quite large but it's always nice to get better quality and more little treasures.

Thank you for sharing greatly and making the effort of putting this on your blog. It is generosity as this that makes loving music and artists even more appreciated and fun!
Happy anniversary and hopefully to another beautiful year full of really good music and videos!

All the love,
Sky

Anonymous said...

O yeah and if you ever need any help with anything on this blog...I'd be glad to assist anytime.

Love & respect,
Sky

Anonymous said...

Happy Almost-Anniversary!

"I don't want or deserve any credit."

You do! Thank you, I've been having fun downloading the Jills, Pinks and Bushs. (Thank god for commas and "and".) The Bots love it.

Crooow

Anonymous said...

Aloha Dr. F.
I'm not the kind of person that leaves comments most of the time, but I just wanted to say thank you for all of the cool things I have seen posted here. I have really enjoyed the Kate Bush posts and have been a Floyd fan for years and have seen some wonderful things on your blog. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Mahalo,
PuffinRandy