Sunday, June 27, 2010

Jill Sobule & Deni Bonet - 1995-04-14 - Ann Arbor, MI


This show was my first introduction to three of my all-time favorite musicians... Jill Sobule, Deni Bonet, and Robyn Hitchcock. It was a wild, strange day full of all sorts of stories. You can get the Robyn Hitchcock portion of this show here.

Before the show started, I was just lounging around in the lobby area when this small blonde woman in a black dress came up and began making small talk. This, I thought, was very strange. After a few minutes, she just as suddenly turned & left. Again, I thought how very strange it was. When the show started, she walked on to the stage and began singing. It was magic!

There were two shows that night - an early show and a late show. The early show just had Jill Sobule as the opening act, but the late show had two opening acts. The second was Deni Bonet. Deni is an amazing violin player. She's still very much around & recording albums. Sadly, though, she doesn't tour outside the NYC area. This is the only live recording that I have of her. Check out her website here.

These sets are brilliant, fun, full of energy, and some of the best music that I have ever heard. I literally went into my local record shop the following Monday and ordered every album by each of these artists. (For Robyn, at least, that was a lot of albums!)

These shows weren't supposed to be shared and have remained locked away in the Secret Society's vaults for these past 15 years. Do me a favor... Download them, listen to them, and just rock the hell out. Here

No comments: