Friday, July 9, 2010

The Hit!!!



Well, I finally got a copy of The Hit. It's out now as a "Criterion" DVD, so I thought it was as good a time as any to take the plunge. Unfortunately, as with most of the films to which the Floyd have contributed soundtrack music, this one is a real piece of crap. Oh, I know, there was that Fractal documentary that was pretty decent. TLAMLIL was a gem. The Magritte documentary wasn't at all bad. But, the others are all really pretty awful. And, true to form, this one didn't fail to spoil my evening & waste my money. The characters are all insipid, unmotivated, uninspired, and poorly written. The very worst thing that an action movie can be is boring - and believe me - this one is so boring as to actually be tedious. The Committee is an excruciatingly tedious movie. But, even it has Arthur Brown in the middle to wake the audience back up - and to let you know just who exactly is the god of hell fire. (It's Mr. Brown.) This movie has a tedious conversation near a waterfall - right in the middle of what might otherwise have been a decent chase.

As to the subject of the music... I guess any contribution by Mr. Waters is highly doubtful. This thing was released in 1984, so that fits with Mr. Clapton & Mr. Waters working together. But, the credits (above) clearly do not emphasize any contribution that Mr. Waters might've made. Even Mr. Clapton only features on 2 or 3 minutes of guitar doodling used for the opening titles. It's hardly enough to brace oneself for the tedium that is soon to follow.

My advice? Seek out a copy of "The Last Mimzy". At least it comes with the promotional film right on the DVD with the feature film. Now, that's worth spending some money.

10 comments:

Gus said...

Hi Doc...

Cool to see either this coda or another attempt at finding some fun in your wonderful blog....

Tomi and you will be missed if yer gone , or are most relievedly welcomed on your quick return ...

either way....
thanks for all , and we dig you guys...

Appick said...

I like the comment "Eric Clapton assisted by Roger Waters" - as if EC needed any assistance!!
Oh, yeah, nearly forgot, it was the eighties. Although I seem to remember EC doing/playing/writing (can't remember which) the music to the series Heart of Darkness which wasn't bad (the music as well as the story), (I was like ten when that aired, so I'm not sure if my memory is playing up and I'm not even sure that I was a half decent critic then either!)

sIR bILLY said...

Good to see your still about, chaps.

Anonymous said...

I like this movie.
Who said it was an action movie? Its a drama.

MarcC said...

Hey, Dr. -

The Cheeze Factory link shows a post in your blog that I can't access; have you gone subscription or member only? I would like to stay with you if that is possible. Your efforts have brought me great pleasure and your posts have always been a fun read. Thank you seems like too little, but I can't think of anything better.

Marc

Gus said...

Ha... i actually really duc The Committee.. the ironic ending was hilarious considering the hero's main drive was to escape exactly what he ends up having to accept as inescapable...ack.. loved that... lots of little jokes in it if ones paying enough attention...

Anonymous said...

Well,I see your still here! I hope that you took my advice,or will take it,and take an extended leave to relax,and then return to us again! Maybe even enjoy the Summer,and return in the Winter?

mike said...

any audio or video recording of the waters/gilmour reunion at the Hoping charity event a few weeks ago?

bibit said...

You Shouldn't Go.. That's It

Chose Mediafire Pls And Stay With Us

Fab From Italy

Kwai Chang said...

I would like to disagree with your opinion of The Committee, please, if I may. Gus' comment above is the truth. The movie is simply too much to absorb in its brief 58 minutes. The hitch hiker acted a bit selfishly by killing the driver. But he successfully validates his arguement and even the Director of The Committee is forced to agree with him. Simply, when society is not held responsible for its own excrement, then the hitch hiker, and others like him, will bear the burden... (willingly, but unfairly). For the committe's function is to merely nudge 'contrary imaginations' back into a line which society has never really been able to provide. Listen to the opening rap and you may want to double check the VILLAIN's identity. "Do you know why I pick up hitch hikers"? (Uh oh - here we go!).
The Committee, The Holy Mountain (Jodorowsky), The Young One (Bunuel) ...these movies are all Zen. Which reminds me:
Are you leaving? If for the right reasons, then we will will meet again. But, if you can't find happiness where you stand, is there really any need to go elsewhere?
Your blog has been very good to me. I apologise for never commenting. (More Zen)- Question: If a truly wise man throws a rock directly at the truth, WHERE DOES IT LAND? Answer: Back in his OWN HAND!
Peace!!!